Saturday, December 26, 2009

Tharsis Estates Available for Download




I have exported a sample block file (Block number 1) and posted it to Block 1 Download at Mediafire. This file contains all of the Tharsis Estates city data so you can look at it, though you cannot edit the objects there. To view it:

* First register as a Blue Mars Developer if you have not done so
* Download and install the developer kit, which should include the Block Editor
* Create a folder under the Blue Mars City Developer Tools\Game\Objects\Mydata\SAND_Tharsis\Block_Data\Block_1
* Place the SAND_Tharsis_Block_1.bld file you downloaded in that folder
* Run the Block Editor and select the file. You should see a view like the photo above. The sample block is outlined in yellow.
* Use menu Config Spec > Very High to get the best view of everything
* Use menu Display > Hide Helpers to unclutter the view.

You can use the arrow keys and mouse to move around. The block editor is too complicated to explain in one blog post, so actually editing I will work on a tutorial for. This download is intended to let you explore the layout, and perhaps choose a location for your own block.

UPDATE: Apparently the block export misses the two modified terrain materials I used.
Go get them at: MediaFire and follow the attached note about where to put them

4 Comments:

At December 26, 2009 at 7:11 PM , Blogger Holt said...

Hey Daniel - I downloaded but mine is missing textures for terrain so everything is red, yellow, black with the No Textures wording. I like the layout though! I can see things textured off in the distance but when I roll up on them they then show as no texture. What's causing that? Thanks.

 
At December 26, 2009 at 7:25 PM , Blogger DanielRavenNest said...

Did you install it in the proper folder? It's also possible I have to include some extra files. This is one reason we are doing this, to find out what stuff is not obvious from their lack of instructions :-)

 
At December 26, 2009 at 7:41 PM , Blogger DanielRavenNest said...

OK, think I got it, it appears it did not send along my custom terrain materials. I'm putting them in a zip file at:

http://www.mediafire.com/?z1tkmrzt4kf

(along with a README file about where to put them)

I may need to put them in a different place for them to export properly.

 
At December 26, 2009 at 7:47 PM , Blogger Holt said...

I double checked the file sequence. BTW, I just figured out how to populate my city/block with trees, space ships, etc. Actually BM has quite a few things available to start out with. Very cool to say the least. Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks? {:o)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home